Sunday, 22 March 2009

The Sweet Flypaper of Life


Mary Osborne, Vi Redd and Dottie Dodgion photographed by Tom Marcello.

Today at work (I can almost afford a bus pass again) I was cataloging a number of rare and interesting books, and spent some time with a 1955 edition of the Langston Hughes/Roy DeCarava collaborative book, The Sweet Flypaper of Life. It tells the story, written by Hughes, of one woman's life in Harlem in 1955. Here is an example:



You can buy it from Donlon Books, if you're like, loaded. But some more images, with the bold front cover, are here. I thought I'd also post the first photograph, by Tom Marcello, with links to the amazing Vi Redd and Mary Osborne, who I've been listening to recently. I like this photo a lot, it's almost a bit Olympia '91, sort of...

4 comments:

J Catlow-Shea said...

First - congratulations on almost being able to buy a bus pass!!

Second - thank you for sharing this!! I know nothing about these women. And that book? I love the "Any Window" photo - I'd love to see a better, non-screen version of it...

Phoebe said...

hi J - thanks for your congratulations! hey, look out for a copy in nyc... you never know... x ph.

tom marcello said...

That photo of the women musicians is mine, not the great Roy DeCarava's. Yopu can find them on Flickr.
Please correct the embarrassment.

Best,

Tom Marcello

Phoebe said...

Hi Tom, sincere apologies and thanks for pointing that out, it's corrected (with link to your flickr).