Monday, 9 February 2009

The last blossom....


Today I heard that Blossom Dearie has died, aged 82. It was literally the day before yesterday that I was at my friend's house, and we were scouring the internet for a recording of "My Attorney Bernie" or "Answering Machine", and I was reminiscing about the two times I saw Blossom perform; once, when I was only about 2 years old, and fell asleep, no doubt lullaby'd by the tinkling piano, "little-girl-lost" voice, and buzz of adults smoking and clinking glasses... and then once more in 2006, at Danny's Skylight Room in NYC, where I met Blossom afterwards, and told her how I'd become an early, if unintentionally unattentive, fan.
My good friend Adrian has written a fulsome obituary for The Guardian, which you can read here. I remember him telling me that he'd penned it some years ago... the papers have to have these things, morbidly, at the ready, and he had to speak to Blossom personally about some details. Apparently she'd been a little suspect about what the information was for.
Sometimes I can't believe I have actually shared time alive with some of the greats I loved from previous generations, like when I met my all-time favourite singer Anita O'Day. Like O'Day, Blossom Dearie was wonderful, distinctive musician who could define an era in the first few bars, and I'm so glad to have seen her play.

1 comment:

J Catlow-Shea said...

I was quite sad when I learned the news.

I recall seeing her sitting at the bar at danny's skylight before her show. not a soul around, hefty glass of wine in hand and purse at her side.

she was an odd, wonderful and talented character that i am sorry to see pass from us.